Monday, December 1, 2008

Presenting with Galapagueño Teachers

The girls´dresses have pictures of endemic animals painted on them.

All weekend we have been meeting with teachers from the Galapagos to create a presentation about how we teach our students about the environment. A theme that ran through every presentation is that teachers need to help our students develop the tools they need to help protect it, since you are our future and we need to protect the environment in order to live. After our presentations, local high school students presented traditional Ecuadorian dance and music. At one point, I got pulled in by one of the dancers and invited to join the dance. I’m sure you would have been amused by my two left feet! I feel incredibly fortunate to have met teachers from Ecuador and to learn about the issues that they face and the solutions they are using. I have learned a lot about recycling and I am eager to share what I have learned with you.





To the right is a mural painted by a high school student from Santa Cruz. The volcano represents the birth of these islands, the globe represents not only the Galapagos but the whole world which is in our hands. One quote I keep hearing is Ïf we can save the Galapagos, we can save our planet.¨

No comments: